Old Jack City
The Confederation of American States, abbreviated as the CAS, and sometimes referred to as the Confederated American States, is a republic in eastern North America, stretching from the Atlantic in the east to the beginning of the Sierra Madre. It shares land borders with UCAS, Pueblo, Aztlan, and South Florida.
The country has 13 states, which have a level of local autonomy according to the system of federalism. A CAS citizen may be referred to simply as an American, a Confederationist, or a CASer. Calling a CAS citizen a “Confederate” (referring back to the moniker used in the American Civil War) is often considered an insult (albeit an unintended one).
After the merger of the United States and Canada into the UCAS in 2030, delegates from the southern states of the US/UCAS met in 2032 in Atlanta at the Secession Convention to discuss. On 10 November 2034, Alabama, Arkansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Tennessee, Texas, and Virginia seceded from the UCAS and formed the Confederation of American States. The Treaty of Richmond signed by UCAS and CAS splits the state of Missouri, Virginia and the UCAS Sector of Denver in two, and merged northern counties of Oklahoma with Kansas.
Each state elects three senators to the CAS Senate, and one representative per 15,000 inhabitants to the CAS House of Representatives. For the Presidential Election, each state elects to the Electoral College a number of electors equal to the sum of their senators and representatives seats. In turn the Electoral College elects the President of the CAS for four years. Presidents can serve a maximum of two terms, senators a maximum of four.
In general, the CAS government gives most authority to the individual states, with the Confederate institutions being largely administrative, possessing little local authority. There are a few exceptions, described below.
The Extraterritorial Registry and Liaison Agency is responsible for administering all relations with extraterritorial entities (e.g. megacorps) within the CAS. In theory, they are tasked with inspecting and monitoring extraterritorial properties to ensure that they are complying with the terms of their territory leases and relevant CAS law. In practice the system of inspections is widely believed to be broken as ERLA is required to notify corporations well in advance of any inspections, except for cases of “extreme concern”. This has resulted in ERLA recruiting significant shadow talent to provide justification for short-notice inspections.
The Department of Domestic Investigations is responsible for inter-state crime in the CAS. They are organized into forces that focus on specific types of crime (Violent, Corporate, Sex, Vice, etc.), and provide assistance to local police forces – whether they ask for it or not. The largest forces are the Counter-Intelligence Force (CIF) and the Counter-Terrorism Force (CTF) that are responsible for disrupting foreign and corporate operations in the CAS. The CTF is notorious in the shadow community for their brutality when going after terrorist suspects.
The Department of Strategic Intelligence is the CAS’ intelligence agency. Their primary focus is, unsurprisingly, Aztlan, and most of their efforts are focused on operations in Aztlan – though it is rumored that they go out of their way to disrupt Aztechnology commercial projects as a matter of policy. While they are technically responsible only for operations outside the CAS, the line gets kind of blurry with Aztechnology & Aztlan, leading to legendary turf wars between DDI, ERLA, and DSI.
The Department of Environmental Protection is responsible for controlling and reducing pollution levels. They work closely with ERLA to enforce environmental regulations as much as possible on the megacorporations – at least in theory. The “Deeps” are generally considered to be the most corrupt branch of the Confederate government. The only good thing that is said about them is that, at least, the bribes are expensive.
The four major political forces in the CAS are:
In 2024, members of the US Democratic Party walked out of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia and formed the Southern Democratic Party. In 2034, members of the UCAS Republican Party joined the Southern Democratic Party to organize the Secession Convention.
The Southern Democrats had control of the CAS Senate from 2034 to 2040. The Southern Conservative Party broke away from the CAS Republican Party in 2038. The Democratic Reform Party split from the Southern Democratic Party in 2040, weakening it enough to allow the Southern Conservatives to take control of the Senate until 2060. In 2060, the Republican Party and the Democratic Reform Party, two minority parties by then, united within the True American Coalition, winning the Presidential election of 2060 and capturing the senate.
The CAS military is overseen by the Bureau of Defense.
The ground forces are the largest military force in North America:
- Six active Army divisions
- 16 air combat squadrons
- Two Marine expeditionary forces
|List of the States of the Confederation|
|Major CAS Cities|
|Atlanta||New Orleans||Dallas Fort Worth||Lubbock|
|St Petersburg||Nashville||Raleigh Durham||Greensboro|
- AresSpace is headquartered in Houston, Texas and maintains a major launch site in Cape Canaveral, Florida.
- Saeder-Krupp, whose North American HQ is in Charlotte.
- Renraku Computer Systems (cd. 78).
- Cord Insurance.
- Lone Star Security Services.
- Hisato Turner Broadcasting.
- United Oil Industries, Exxoco
- Most other Megacorporations.
- Primary Source: Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America, p30-34.
- Atlanta: Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America, p35-46.
- Dallas Fort Worth: Neo-Anarchists Guide to North America, p47-63.
- Denver Sector: Denver City of Shadows p102-115.
- New Orleans: Target Smugglers Havens p7-29, 92-97.
- Laws regarding magic use (gm2.12).
- Mafia influence (und. p35-36).
- 2034: Formation (sr3.30).
- The End Run (tsh. 87-88) and the Throat (tsh. 86-87) smuggling routes pass through the CAS.
- A small gang called the Voodoo Posse claims the French Quarter of New Orleans as turf (und. 105).
- New Orleans is a zone of wild magic (mits. 87).
- Shadowland nodes in (at least) New Orleans, Dallas, and Atlanta (tm 27).
- Azziewatch Data Haven physically located in Texas (tm. 37-39).
- Ares owns Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral (yotc. 14).
- Trans-Orbital launches spaceplanes from Matagorda Island, Texas (yotc. 19).
- Government offers bounty on those who animate the dead (yotc. 91).
- Lyco Systems based in New Orleans (ssc 38).